Sunday, July 24, 2011

A Birthday Treat

I had recently gotten this cookbook:

vegan-cupcakes-take-over-the-world.jpg

...but hadn't made anything from it.  Until today.  It was Mike's aunt's birthday yesterday and I wanted to make her a fun treat.   She's a veganish vegetarian...yeah, I just made up that term.  Essentially, she tries to eat vegan a lot but doesn't totally adhere to the label - especially when eating away from home. 

We had gone to the local farmer's market yesterday and I picked up some raspberries.




















So, when I flipped through the book and saw a recipe for "Skinny" Vanilla Cupcakes with a raspberry topping, I knew those had to be the ones to make.

I've made vegan muffins before, but not cupcakes.  I've really found vegan baking to be easy - and really yummy.

The naked cupcake.  




















I had to try one right out of the oven - just to make sure they were edible.
More than edible!!  They are a little spongier than your typical cupcake.  But really, flavor-wise, I doubt anyone would really suspect these didn't have eggs...and did have soy milk.


The recipe called to spread on some all-fruit jam. 




















Then came the raspberries...and a drizzle of your basic powdered sugar icing.




















I will definitely be trying some of the other recipes in this book! These were delicious.

No comments: