Saturday, July 23, 2011

Blogger Adolescence





















I'm feeling like a jr. higher when it comes to blogging.  A little awkward looking, still trying to figure things out, and in desperate need of some fashion guidance.

So, as I sit here and rock out to some Ace of Base, I thought I'd try a food-log style entry.  Hence, the name of this blog is, "What's Jen Eating," so I might as well go that route.

While on vacation, I had a conversation with my Dad and had mentioned that I rarely eat salad.  Shocked, he was all, "Really? What do you eat!?"  I think it's a huge misnomer that all vegetarians eat is salad.  There are SO many yummy things to eat out there without meat that is not salad.

That said, ironically, today I did eat a salad for lunch.  Haha...

To begin the day, I had a green smoothie.  Green Monsters have been somewhat of a staple of mine for about a year now.  I love them.  My basic one is ice, about 1/4 cup of raw oatmeal, a banana, and a couple handfuls of baby spinach.  Blend it up and enjoy.  I know it sounds weird, but seriously...you can't taste the spinach!  It tastes like banana.




















Well, I recently heard Kimberly Snyder on the radio promoting her book, The Beauty Detox Solution.  It seemed like the basis of her "solution" is in a green smoothie.  I looked it up and decided to give it a try. This thing is hardcore.  It's a head of romaine, celery, spinach, an apple, a pear, a banana, lemon juice, cilantro & parsley (optional but I had them, so used them).  As a friend of mine commented about the batch she made, "it's more like salsa than a smoothie!"  I'm determined to tweak this and make it more palatable...but in an effort to use the batch that I had on hand, I used it as a base this morning and then added a banana, oatmeal, and ice...and blended it some more.  It was MUCH better.

For lunch, I had lots of leftovers. I threw together a salad because I had lettuce left over from that batch of green smoothie I made.  In the mix was romaine, a broccoli-slaw (shredded broccoli stems, cabbage, carrots) mix I had, some baby carrots, celery, and Mama Pea's Mmm Sauce.  Then, on the side, I had some Wheat Thins with vegan ricotta I had made for a pasta dish the night before.
















I spent most of the day studying for my NCLEX while Mike took Aaron to Seattle to go to the Pacific Science Center.  They stopped by Pike's Market and got me flowers on the way home!!  I love my boys.

That said, dinner was about as thrown together as lunch.  We stopped by the store and I was inspired by some Naan I saw to make a curry dish, knowing that I had some Trader Joe's Yellow Curry sauce in the pantry.


This stuff is awesomesauce. Hehe...  Sorry, had to.  Seriously though, you throw together some veggies, pour it on top, and serve with rice or naan.  It's delicious!















Our dinner consisted of onion, potatoes, red bell pepper, carrots, broccoli, and Quorn Chik'n tenders...with naan.



I forgot to take a picture when it was plated.  It wasn't until I took our plates to the sink that I remembered I was doing this post today and I needed to take a picture!




















This naan was really yummy. It's from British Columbia...which I almost feel is somewhat local since we're so far up here now. Hehe...

So, thanks for being on this journey with me.  I've had the urge to do a food blog for a while now and I'm really hoping to get it up and running...work out all the kinks of what style of blog I'm going to have  and get consistent with posting.

2 comments:

Kim said...

What a great post Jen! I will definitely be a regular reader. I need food inspiration big time! Keep up sweetie and soon you will be graduating to High School Blogging!

Love you,
Kim

Jennie said...

Thanks, Kim! :) I'm glad you enjoyed it.